Is it possible to use an HD Camera with K210?

• Hi everyone,

I am new to K210 and have one question about its video interface.

I checked the datasheet and found that K210 support DVP interface. However, video with VGA size is supported.
    0_1548905602380_2b81a42f-c142-4cf0-8780-edbc6d62a2a3-image.png

Is it possible to use one HD camera (1920 * 1080, 200 Mega Pixel) with K210? I don't need to do real-time video stream, possibly less than 5 fps.

Thanks in advance.

Yunhui

• @loboris, I look forward to your updates eagerly.
    Do let us know when your commits are through.
    Your insights are highly appreciated !

Thanks in advance,
    pixelhaze

• @pixelhaze said in Is it possible to use an HD Camera with K210?:

@northerntrend said in Is it possible to use an HD Camera with K210?:

MicroPython for K210

Sorry about posting on an old topic,
    @loboris, I was looking for the OV5640 related code that you mentioned here. I could not locate it in the repository listed earlier. Is there a location where we can refer to the implementation ? My current interest is in pulling out the entire JPG from the OV5640.
    This might be of interest to many.

Sorry about the delay, I hope I'll find the time to commit the updates to K210 MicroPython this weekend.
    I've started working on standalone camera driver and example which includes JPEG capture on OV5640 and OV2640, but I'm not sure when it will be ready for publishing on GitHub.

• @northerntrend said in Is it possible to use an HD Camera with K210?:

MicroPython for K210

Sorry about posting on an old topic,
    @loboris, I was looking for the OV5640 related code that you mentioned here. I could not locate it in the repository listed earlier. Is there a location where we can refer to the implementation ? My current interest is in pulling out the entire JPG from the OV5640.
    This might be of interest to many.

• @nathan said in Is it possible to use an HD Camera with K210?:

@Yunhui 1080p cannot be supported by DVP in K210 directly, but 1960*960 can. However, that doesn't mean KPU in K210 can support so large a size. KPU in K210 can only support 320*256 max. Also, we haven't evaluate the fps with 1960*960 with K210

where come from 1960 and 960,what is the constraint of dvp , is there any example code to config dvp to capture image size bigger than 640x480?????????/

• @loboris said in Is it possible to use an HD Camera with K210?:

@northerntrend

Yes, KPU dedicated SRAM can be used by MCU if KPU is not used.

I have fully working driver for OV5640 camera as a part of my MicroPython for K210 project. It can capture jpegs in all supported modes (still some issues only with 5MP images...). Capturing jpegs from OV2640 is also supported.
    The update containing this driver and changes related to handling 2MB of KPU memory will be commited later this week and you can check if it can help you in your project.

Hi @loboris, That's great news and thanks for responding to this topic. I'll give your implementation a try for sure and perhaps I can offer some testing if required. I'll definitely also attempt to stabilize the 5MP capture when testing various modes.

Thanks!

• @northerntrend

Yes, KPU dedicated SRAM can be used by MCU if KPU is not used.

I have fully working driver for OV5640 camera as a part of my MicroPython for K210 project. It can capture jpegs in all supported modes (still some issues only with 5MP images...). Capturing jpegs from OV2640 is also supported.
    The update containing this driver and changes related to handling 2MB of KPU memory will be commited later this week and you can check if it can help you in your project.

• @nathan Further to this discussion on the DVP capabilities. Can the 2MBytes of RAM normally assigned to KPU be used as a framebuffer when KPU is not in use? In other words, how can one use the KPU memory for non-KPU related assignments? I do remember seeing somewhere that KPU memory can be re-purposed if RAM is powered while the KPU is disabled.

Also, are you able to reveal all registers and their sizes relating to DVP interface and maybe a block diagram of how it works?

I am currently working on a project that requires the use of the OV5640 camera in jpeg mode and wish to pull 2-5MP jpegs from camera's ISP and need to know if the DVP can handle variable size frames from camera. Eg.: fixed width but variable number of rows depending on amount of jpeg data.

Support will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Thanks for your reply. We will see.

• Staff |  Mod

@Yunhui 1080p cannot be supported by DVP in K210 directly, but 1960*960 can. However, that doesn't mean KPU in K210 can support so large a size. KPU in K210 can only support 320*256 max. Also, we haven't evaluate the fps with 1960*960 with K210 DVP.