Kendryte with external RAM interface?

• I'm coming over from the Hackaday.com article I was impressed by the demos!

Are there plans for future Kendryte processors to have an external memory interface and use the on chip memory as cache?

For some applications the current K210 would be more power efficient. But for applications that need more memory such as running Linux or other operating systems. Or even running larger AI models... it would be useful to have a way to add more memory at the expense of expending more power on the memory interface. A low cost board with support for 1 or 2 memory SODIMMS would be very desireable compared to the expensive SiFive boards for instance and might become very popular.

An application I could imagine is something similar to an OLPC or a handheld device that also has AI enabled functionality in addition to being able to run conventional applications.

• @akirara said in Kendryte with external RAM interface?:

1. K210 SPI0 SPI1 SPI3 support XIP , you can connect PSRAM up to 16M(SPI0 1 3) or 32M(only SPI3)

As far as I know, there are only 16Mb (2 Mbyte), 32Mb (4 Mbyte) and 64Mb (8 Mbyte) SPI PSRAM chips on the market at the moment. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Is there any information about how to use K210 SPI XIP feature?

• Staff |  Mod

• @akirara But I find out that The storage size of spi psram is no more than 64Mbit(8MByte). Are you sure it is 32M Bytes?

• Staff |  Mod

@analoglamb 32Mbytes

• @akirara said in Kendryte with external RAM interface?:

you can connect PSRAM up to 16M(SPI0 1 3) or 32M(only SPI3)

32MB or 32Mb??

• Staff |  Mod

Hey!
    Thanks for support us K210 microprocessor, if you need more RAM, there have some way for you.

1. K210 SPI0 SPI1 SPI3 support XIP , you can connect PSRAM up to 16M(SPI0 1 3) or 32M(only SPI3)
    2. If your application needn't KPU response real-time then you can set module into SPI NAND flash, It will support up to 128M
      for Linux, if you run Linux on SRAM then KPU will can't work, so maybe you should use PSRAM to run linux not SRAM.
      And K210 is just a Microprocessor for IoT, so maybe we shouldn't make a OLPC like product, it's so heavy isn't it ?